Search This Blog

Tuesday 11 February 2014

PSA for the WEA

 


Last week I started a course on WWI and poetry. I did this with an organisation that I only discovered the day before called the Workers Educational Association (WEA). Now I had heard of the WEA before but in passing and I assumed that it was like many other nice things absent from my area. Turns out the Grimsby branch had been open continuously for over 75 years. Being an adult learning organisation it offers many courses including maths and English for those of us who didn't do well in school.

But it also offers some more specific courses like Poetry before, during and after the First World War, Italian, The Ancient Egyptian army, modern art etc. And many of the tutors are University lecturers. Unlike in school were twenty to thirty kids sit there memorising what's on the white board these courses treat you like an adult and let you participate in them.

The WEA offers some really good opportunities for further learning so I'd like to do my small part to help advertise what its offering. It does cost money but since its a charity the costs are subsidised, my seven week course cost £40.00 and that includes materials and refreshments.

 

I enthusiastically recommend it to any UK resident in need of more training or qualifications. It certainly a lot better then those for profit outfits and the local Colleges. You can find out about your nearest branch and the courses it offers here http://www.wea.org.uk/local/branches



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts